Frequently asked questions
- What is KVIFF.TV?
- A film platform with a diverse library of more than 500 films selected by
the programming team from the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival in
collaboration with the Aerofilms film distribution company. Besides films, you
will also find an abundance of bonus material and original shows. During the
Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, KVIFF.TV becomes the
festival's official television station, bringing you news, information, and
live broadcasts of important events, and offering viewers additional original
- What kind of content does KVIFF.TV offer?
- The Karlovy Vary festival team carefully selects the best films from the
Czech Republic and abroad. Our library contains new releases alongside
time-tested classics. You will find important directors as well as emerging
talents. In order to help you navigate KVIFF.TV and the world of cinema, we
organize films into thematic collections. Besides films, you can also choose
from a wide selection of original shows and bonus materials, all of it available
- What is the difference between a subscription and direct purchases of
- Our services differ both in price and form of playback. If you are
interested in multiple films, we recommend purchasing a monthly (CZK 160/month)
or annual (CZK 1,700/year) subscription, which gives you unlimited playback of
nearly entire catalogue of our films. Although subscribers do not have access to
all new releases, they do get a discount on direct purchases (starting at CZK
55/film). Your subscription will be renewed automatically. Should you wish to
cancel your subscription, you may do so in your personal profile. For rapid
viewing of one specific film, we recommend streaming the film directly in your
browser (usually CZK 70/film). In this case, you will have 7 days to watch the
film. If you want to own the film without any limitations, you can download it
as an MP4 file (usually CZK 120/film).
- What films can I see as part of my subscription?
- We try to make as many films from our catalogue as possible available to our
subscribers. However, in view of the number of different distributors and
licensing conditions, we cannot include all new releases immediately. Sometimes
you will have to wait a few months after a film's online premiere.
Nevertheless, you can directly purchase the film for streaming or download.
Films available as part of your subscriptions can be viewed here.
- In what language are the films?
- Most of the films are shown in their original language with Czech subtitles
by leading Czech translators. Some of the films feature external subtitles that
can be turned on and off, while others have the subtitles burned directly in the
image that cannot be turned off. For children's and family films, we sometimes
offer a version with Czech dubbing so the films can be enjoyed by even the
- How can I give a film or a subscription to someone else as a gift?
- If you click the button marked “Gift” (in the film's description) or
“Gift subscription” (on the homepage) and subsequently pay the selected
service, you will receive an email with a voucher that you can then forward or
print out and present as a gift. All the recipient of your gift has to do to
activate the chosen service is to enter the code from the voucher. The voucher
can be used at any time, and the service made available by the voucher is valid
starting on the date of activation. Subscriptions activated using a voucher are
not automatically renewed.
- I've received a gift voucher code. How do I use it?
- The code on the voucher unlocks the selected film for playback/download or
activates a subscription or discount. The code is entered once by clicking the
“Voucher” button in film detail page or on your profile page. In order to
use a voucher, you must have a registered account with us and be logged in to
your account before entering the code. Your service is activated after the
voucher code has been entered into our system.
- How do I cancel my subscription?
- If you register and pay for your subscription, it will automatically renew
monthly or annually. When you decide to cancel your subscription, just click the
Cancel subscription button in your personal profile.
- What are the minimum technical requirements for using KVIFF.TV without
- KVIFF.TV works best with the latest version of a web browser (ideally Google
Chrome, Firefox, or Safari) and a fast and stable internet connection. You can
try playing a trailer or show for free: If playback is smooth, your connection
is sufficiently fast and nothing stands in the way of your cinematic enjoyment.
If you have a slower connection, you can manually lower the quality of the image
in the video player.
- What is the format of downloaded films?
- We offers films in the MP4 format (h264) with a bit rate of ca. 4,500 Mbps.
You can choose from two levels of quality – 1920 (FullHD) or 1280 (HD)
horizontal pixels. Sound is in stereo; because of compatibility, multichannel
sound is not supported. For most films, you will have to download subtitles in
SRT format. For playback, we recommend using the VLC media player. We do not recommend nor do we
support downloads onto mobile telephones, televisions, or any devices other than
a personal computer.
- How do I watch a movie on TV?
- We are working on the development of TV apps. However, you can already use
KVIFF.TV on newer TVs directly in the integrated web browser by logging in with
your account. We cannot guarantee this for all TVs, as it depends on many
technical parameters of the manufacturer. If you're not sure if your TV has
enough power, try playing the movie trailer or any episode of KVIFF Originals
- Can I watch films outside the Czech Republic?
- KVIFF.TV is intended primarily for viewers from the Czech Republic and
Slovakia. We do not have the proper licenses for other regions, and so the films
cannot be watched or downloaded from abroad. However, if you already have an
account and are planning a holiday or business trip, then you can access our
catalogue of films even from abroad. Using a VPN is not a problem for KVIFF.TV.
The only requirement is that you turn off your VPN and have a Czech IP address
during the initial registration process.
- I operate a culture center. Can I screen a purchased film for the
- Our licenses are limited to domestic viewing (home video). You can certainly
watch purchased films with your family, a partner, or friends. But you cannot
show it at a public screening, for instance at a café, pub, or outdoor cinema.
If you are interested in holding a public screening, please contact us at email@example.com and we will put
you in touch with the distributor, who can offer you the chance to hold your
screening legally for a licensing fee.
- What do you do with my personal data?
- Your data is safe with us. We only process the most essential information
(name, surname, email address, purchase history), and only for as long as needed
in order to be able to offer you the best possible services. Please feel free to
- What is KVIFF ID?
- We have developed a new and more secure way of logging in that allows you to
use not only KVIFF.TV, but also other services related to the Karlovy Vary Film
Festival and all KVIFF Group activities. Thanks to your KVIFF ID, you will have
access to the Vodafone KVIFF Guide mobile app, as well as to your profile on the
website www.kviff.com with the ability to set up your festival
programme in the My Programme tool.
- I have the original KVIFF.TV mobile app. Will it be compatible with the
platform's new version?
- The new design of the KVIFF.TV platform has been developed in collaboration
with another company. The result is an entirely new product, and last
year's application is no longer functional. However, KVIFF.TV is fully
compatible with mobile devices, meaning that you can watch KVIFF.TV without
difficulty on your telephone. What is more, from your browser you can place a
shortcut right on your desktop, so that you can reach our site as easily as
- Something's not working, who can I contact?
- In case of technical problems, please contact our email support at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include
your problem, operating system version, web browser and movie title in the body
of the email.